Friday, August 14, 2009

Communicating With Words

Communicating With Words
I woke up this morning thinking about words and writing. That's not so unusual, I am a dyslexic and I am a writer, even though I haven't done much of it lately, writing that is, so thinking about writing is pretty much what I do 99.9% of the time. Thinking about words, I do 100% of the time. Writing is a form of communication, a way of getting others to understand you. So what's the big deal on how we do it. And, what is a misplaced modifier, does it make any difference? We laugh at them sometimes because they are funny, but still, we understand what the writer meant. So what the hey or h--- is the big deal. Did you not understand what I meant by h---? Everyone knows what the F word is and what the N word and many other words expressed by a single letter or a multiple letter string. They represent a forbidden word or phrase that is not to be uttered or read. Yet we know exactly what they mean. They register in our brain just as clearly as if written or said fully. I remember the first movie that came out with the F word. One character repeated it many times. Of course, they blanked it out, but everyone knew what he said, and it was funny as h---.
Today, texting is a popular form of communicating, something that looks Greek to me. These kids thumb it in with lightening speed and with that same speed, they read and understand it. Communication established. So, if what you write is understood by others, no matter how it is written, you have achieved your objective. When you say, "yo, M F-ing SOB," everyone knows what it means. It only looks better than the actual full spelling of the words. For me, I say "Dam the aesthetics, full spelling ahead.

Tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment