Monday, February 7, 2011

CONFESSIONS OF A NONBELIEVER


THEIST, ATHEIST OR AGNOSTIC, FANATICS OR COWARDS?
Theists are religious fanatics. The opposite of theist, atheist, is also a class of fanatics. Between these two extremes lays the realm of the agnostics. Like the thousands of different religious sects and groups around the world, agnostics are subdivided into many levels of disbelief, all hated and kicked around by atheists and theists alike. They call us cowards, fence-sitters, wishy-washy and lazy, to name a few of the less derogatory. Although I hate being labeled, I am forced into being called an agnostic, even though there is no comfortable sect for me within this group.
Theists, especially Christians warn us that we are going to burn in hell if we don’t change our heathen ways, and then they threaten to pray for us, both of which mean little to a nonbeliever. They are going to prey to a god we don’t believe in? They want to scare us into reverting to theism not realizing most agnostics have been down that road? Don’t get me wrong, not all theists are like this. There are some with whom one can have a calm, intelligent conversation with.
Atheists tell us “ get off the fence and man up. You know there’s no god out there.”
“No. I don’t. Prove it to me.”
I’d rather listen to a theist try to prove that God does exist, even though I lean toward the atheist’s point of view. Theist cannot get past “it’s in the Bible” stage. And this is so very simple to disprove to a logical person, not that all theist are illogical. It’s impossible to break them away from their brainwashed beliefs in the Bible. But then, who would want to. Certainly not me. Having beliefs that firmly entrenched is admirable whether or not they are wrong. If it makes their lives easier and happier,  what’s the harm? If they are correct, hallelujah. No one is going to get lonely in hell. If not, who’s going to know the difference?
I’m not seeking to build up a group of followers or even trying to add to the expanding group of the nonreligious who, by the way, now rank third on Religions by Adherents Chart. In the last ten years it has passed Hinduism and is quickly gaining ground on Muslims and Christianity. Here are the first 4 on the list.    
Christianity 33% steady
Muslims 21% up 1.4%
Nonreligious 16% up 3.3%
Hinduism 14% up .6%

Atheists have a firm belief that no god or gods exists. The big bang happened and here we are 13.75 billion years, plus or minus a few days, later. He really has nothing to prove. Anyone has the right to not believe what he/she wishes.
Theists however, believe in their God. Makes no difference if others believe in what is supposed to be the same god only in different ways. The God of the Bible is one god, correct? Yet, different religions and sects have split him up until there is nothing left of the original God. This has been something I could never figure out when I was a believer. But now I know why.
However, if someone believes in something he/she must be prepared to prove, logically, the existence of whatever it is. I believe there are few theists who are prepared to attempt this without using the bible or making reference to it. I have found proof, to my satisfaction, the bible is a fake. To my way of thinking, this means that the God of the Bible doesn’t and never has existed. This is fodder for another article.
Therefore, the agnostic in me is, I don’t believe in the God of the Bible. I don’t deny there may be a god out there somewhere and maybe he/she/it is not ready to reveal his/her/its self to us and probably never will. Scientist’s explanation of the big band theory is no more logical than the theist’s believe their god created it all. So, believe in what you like. I am now content in mine. I write of my agnostic ways in hope of providing to others who, like me, have been or are stuck in limbo. Limbo, the purgatory of not knowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment