Thursday, April 14, 2011

THOUGHTS ON RELIGION’S FUTURE



Is There a Future for Religion?
History
While cruising over the internet, I keep coming across more young adults, high school and college students, professing their atheistic beliefs, joining or establishing atheists groups and setting up blogs and web sites to express their views and beliefs. I remember, as a youth, it was blasphemous to utter the word atheist, and the subject was discussed in hushed whispers. It was on the same level as being gay or part of a mixed race marriage. Admitting you were party to any of these put you in jeopardy of being driven from your family, church and society. I remember my own feelings about these rebel rousers of that time. I thought they were evil, devil worshipers who, most certainly, were going to burn in hell forever and a day. That means a day longer than born again believers would spend in heaven. I wasn’t religious, in that I didn’t go to church every Sunday or every other Sunday. I may have attended a few times a year with my mother who, in our family, came closest to being a Christian. She was the only one in the family that didn’t cuss. I followed the opinions of the adults around me and figured everyone thought that way. It’s no wonder my life was so screwed up for so long.
Modern day beliefs
These days one can profess to be anything one wishes. You still face shunning and banishment from some, but you will never feel alone. In five minutes of computer time, you will find hundreds and thousands of others who share your beliefs or lack thereof. And they aren’t shy about it, in fact, they are quite proud. I’ve even come across blogs of closet atheists/priests who must remain anonymous for fear of losing their livelihood, i.e., they know nothing but the church. Fessing up would put them on the street, homeless and without any means of supporting themselves. There’s no demand for an atheist preacher. Of course, I know many Christians who would say, “That’s just what they deserve.” That is the curse of some Christians. They have no leeway for anyone not of their faith. Now don’t get all fired up. I’m not saying ALL Christians think or feel this way, and the ones that do, have a right to voice their opinion.
Conclusions
Point one: there is something out there for everyone. If you don’t feel comfortable where you are, look around, ask questions and forget what they say about “you can’t find everything on Google.” That’s a guise to keep you from learning the truth.  Do indeed use Google. This is where I found the truth I have been seeking for a coon’s age, and it didn’t come from one place. It’s all over. This truth gave me an exaltation greater than what I felt when I thought I found the light almost a half century ago.
Point two: more people at a younger age are crossing the line between believing and not believing, and they are not waiting as I did, until they reach their mid life crises period or they become a dried up old curmudgeon, to make up their minds. Nonbelievers, for whatever reason, study all religions and know more about the Bible than most blind faith believers. Knowing God, and knowing about God is quite different.
The future
The survey says, more people are selecting nonbeliever as their religion and out of the ones selecting Christian only 20% attend church. It makes one wonder just how many diehard Christians are really out there. If you claim to be a Christian why are you not supporting your beliefs? Never mind, I know the answer.  All one has to do is accept Christ as their savior at some point before they die. Does that mean I’m covered then because I’ve done that once? Some would say we, i.e., us nonbelievers or society as a whole, are going to hell in a hand basket. But then, there are surprisingly few religions that believe there is a hell. Another religion states that only 144,000 of their faithful will go to heaven, eternity on a new Earth for other faithful ones, and animation for all others. In that religion, it appears, Heaven is only open for the best of the best.
I say we are just starting to wake up and see the real light. As more youths grow into adulthood without the pressure of family and society forcing them into a religion they don’t feel comfortable in, it means more children will be raised in a family with an open concept of faith, love and cherishing and a religion that is not bound to ancient beliefs and worshiping an invisible supernatural entity with an uncertain and vague origin. It makes one wonder how long this will take to cover the world to where everyone is working to save the world.   
Think about this, if we all were nonbelievers there would be no cause for the religious wars that have been going on for eons stealing our young men and women from us, i.e., our precious stock for the future. Wouldn’t that be a real blessing?
Again, I thank you for your time. Have a pleasant day.


No comments:

Post a Comment