Thursday, June 18, 2009

MY STRUGGLES WITH SPELLING AS A DYSLIXIC

MY STRUGGLES WITH SPELLING
The bold words are ones I had to look up while writing this.

April 28, 2009. Today I struggled with my spell checker for about five minutes to find the word symphony. I know the word when I see it, but I couldn't spell it. I knew it had a "y" in it but I forgot its f sounding ph sound. I couldn't remember if it started with a, S, C, T, or THYN. Finally, I went to the internet to a list of musical terms where I recognized it under words beginning with "s". With this word I couldn't remember the proper pronunciation to clue me in on a proper spelling enough for my spell checker to be of any help.
May 11, 2009. Lost five minutes trying to spell abandoned. Recognizing words and spelling them must come from different areas of the brain. There, I just had a problem spelling, recognizing. Frustrating, a word I could never spell until recently. I have to stop and think, remember it starts with FRU not, FLU, the way I pronounce it.
Here's a sentence that will send a dyslexic up a tree. Does the does get a dose of the medicine too. I don't think I ever had a problem with too, to two, and there, their, or they're. They are all different and I have no problem with attaching the proper meaning to each. Further and farther never gave me a problem which it does with many people who are not dyslexic.
Dyslexia is a many faceted disability; what affects one may or may not affect another. But for a very few words, I see none backward. Somewhere during my life someone told me, I had dyslexia. They said dyslexics see things backward. Although some do, I never did. So whomever that was, I figured they didn't know what they were talking about. I went through life thinking I was dumb, lazy, and stupid; all that's a hard thing to shake free of.
Until the next time, have a great day.

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Ray. We all have some sort of struggle in life which can make things "interesting" for us. When others share their difficulties, as you have done in this post, it can make us more aware of what we each go through, even though our problems may not be identical. And knowing how you have dealt with your disability, gone beyond it have become a great writer...that's very encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really got caught up in your book!!! I loved it, once I got past your colorful language, lol!!! The story line was great i was seeing life a generation before me like I was there!

    ReplyDelete