Monday, June 8, 2009

Writing and Dyslexia.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life, and I shall fear no evil.

Hello to everyone out there in cyber space. I've resisted this blogging thing long enough. My fear of communicating, other than by face to face, and especially by written word, now seems ridicules. I don't actually believe that. To put it more correctly, I feel pressured into doing it. My long fear of writing stems from my affliction with dyslexia, which I wasn't aware of until I was in my late fifties. My terrible grammar, unsightly penmanship and horrific spelling precluded me from writing anything other than simple words in simple sentences.
I feared Instant Messaging so much, that if anyone even mentioned it, I shied away from them. if someone IM'ed me, I logged off, immediately and swore I wasn't IM'ed. Blogging too makes me timid. I've visited some sites, but only for information; I never posted anything. I fear these things almost as much as reading something before a live group.
Now that I'm getting more involved in writing, I feel I must join the masses, retreat from my shell, get with the program or do whatever other cliché it takes to bring myself up to par. So, here I is. I plan to post about my experiences with dyslexia and how it affects my writing. Although, it is open to anything, within reason.
Thank you, have a good day and behave yourselves, if that is possible.

2 comments:

  1. Ray, I feel honored to be the first to comment on your blog. Like you, I am brand new to this blogging concept and have only contributed three small efforts to my wife's blog. She is a member of your writing guild, but rarely has an opportunity to attend. Her blogging sphere encompasses primarily gardeners, but secretly she writes passionately about our lives and life in general. I am a fairly simple person, interested mainly in rock collecting, and recently in trying to secure a job!

    I look forward to your posts and insights into controlling dyslexia. For goodness sakes, even someone who is a blue-ribbon speller can't get that word right! What were they thinking when they named the condition?

    I'm sure my wife will comment soon. Her site is
    http://learningtoheal-walk2write.blogspot.com

    If that doesn't work, just google walk2write in florida and it will be the first one to pop up.

    Welcome to blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Ray! Welcome to the world of blogging. You're not alone in fearing what other people (strangers) might think of your writing. It took a huge life change for me to overcome my fear and plunge right in. It's been a great learning tool, therapeutic, and a wonderful way to make new friends. Yes; I have actually met a distant (Tennessee) blogger and her family in person, and I feel richer for the experience. I wish you all the best with your new "baby" as you nurture it and watch it mature.

    ReplyDelete