Thursday, January 21, 2010

Recovering from religion, who am I and who is God

Recovering from religion, who am I and who is God? PART ONE


I no longer claim to be a Christian, nor am I a conformed atheist. Neither of these religions, and they are religions, can prove or disprove their beliefs. So I take the stand of an agnostic, a word coined by Thomas Henry Huxley who said: “Agnosticism simply means that a man shall not say he knows or believes that for which he has no grounds for professing to believe.” That’s me 'show me brother,' I've been called a Doubting Thomas more than a few times in my life. Another Thomas, the disciple, I believe was the first agnostic long before the word was coined. But then, this was just a story which, many apostles, in a frenzy, jumped on the bandwagon to get their stories published. I feel sure there were others long before that.

In my opinion, there are too many religions, all claiming theirs to be the only true one. This makes for a lot of Gods. I offer a quote from Stephen F. Roberts: I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible Gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

On the other hand, here is another quote this one from one of the Bible writers or editors and there are more than a few who have changed their views after editing the Bible. ??? Henry Cadbury, the biblical scholar who contributed to the new Revised Standard Version of the Bible said, "I can describe myself as no ardent theist or atheist." To me, hope, faith and belief mean little, if all one can say is, "it's in the Bible, it's God's will." No one can say they know God's will, and entity whose existence cannot be confirmed.
I'll post part two within the next two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment