Saturday, December 25, 2010

WHAT ARE YOUR BELIEFS?

AGNOSTIC, ATHEIST, THEIST
WHAT ARE YOUR BELIEFS?
What are your beliefs? A question I’ve been asked more and more of late. Are you an Agnostic, an Atheist or a Theist or a mixture of all? I hesitate to answer. I can’t say, without a doubt what I am. It seems people have a dire need to know the slot where someone fits in. You must be labeled, put in a category all snug and comfy. “There goes George. He’s a Catholic, or a Baptist,” of which there are a blue million different denominations, or, “Old Sambo there, he’s an Atheist, Agnostic or Theist.” Immediately one knows exactly what your beliefs are as though it makes a difference. It isn’t so.
First off I don’t like a label placed on my forehead. Besides I don’t fit wholly into any one of these fields. Yes I’m a back-sliding, non-believer, but I don’t consider myself to be a Theist, nor an Agnostic or an Atheist. I gave up my beliefs a long time ago, before I knew what these labels meant. Maybe there is a god out there somewhere, but it’s surely not the god conjured up by man thousands and hundreds of thousands of years ago and then changed, modified to fit his needs over time. These changes are still taking place. And man still thinks his conjured up god is the only true god.
I read an article this morning about the different beliefs of Agnostics, Atheists and Theists and different combinations of the three, and I still don’t see a place where I would fit in, thank goodness. There are so many different beliefs and sects out there, I don’t think anyone has an accurate count. Is this what a god would want. Especially when each sect is fighting and killing the other over whose god is the true god.
I can emphatically state that I don’t believe in the man-made god depicted in the bible. There is too much out there proving otherwise, if one only opened h/her mind. I would never attempt to show or sway a true blue Christian or believer otherwise. Neither do I ardently dispel that a god of some kind exists somewhere. If there is and we all don’t agree that he, she it is the true god, we as a human race are doomed without an afterlife; the one thing we all are striving for. No god is going to abide by what we are doing to ourselves, and all in the name of a god that doesn’t exist. It’s truly ludicrous.
The god of today, the one divided into thousands of gods, each fulfilling the beliefs of one sect or another, is no better and probably worse than the one prehistoric man conjured up to praise for providing him with food to fill his empty belly, and for providing him with light and warmth from the Sun. Mother Earth and Father Sky are the ones we should still be giving thanks to. In the end they are the ones that are going to determine our outcome.
If there is a god out there, he surely provided these for our benefit. Another question is, does he rein over the universe, the galaxy, our small solar system or is there something more expansive out there, something our greatest telescopes, as of yet, are unable to view.
Maybe we ought to have a book burning like the religious leaders had in the past, i.e. burning anything contrary to their beliefs or that might threaten what they have decided was right for man. The GOOD BOOK, plainly, under close scrutiny, is a plagiarized writing of previously pagan gods and stories that came long before someone decided there should be only one god, needs to be destroyed, or, at least rewritten. Take out all the horror stories, all the threats of facing hell and damnation for not following THE WORD to the letter. No true or loving god would use such scare tactics. Leave in the positive things, the love thy neighbor, do good, spread happiness. Remember honey attracts more flies than vinegar. I remember my dog training days; a soft gentle hand and voice accomplishes much more than harsh words or the whip. It’s so sad I didn’t apply this to raising my children.
No one can say they follow all ten commandments and there probably has never been such a person. This world would be one big monastery if we had.
Live healthy, do good things and love each other. The hippy movement of the sixties never really caught on like it should have. If there is a god out there, he, she, it will notice. And you don’t have to spell his name with a capital g; just plain God is so impersonal, especially when there are so many out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment