Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Weather Forecasters May Be Hazardous

Warning, Killer Storm Approaching
Isaac is a Hebrew name for a male, and it means, child of laughter. It is a fitting name because I laughed a lot at weather forecasters who seemed determined to make this storm more than it was. It was the biggest fiasco I have seen in a long time. And, I do not mean in a disastrous way. Our weather forecasters turned it into a humiliating and ludicrous failure from the very beginning, and continued until it was long gone.
Thursday afternoon, I first learned about Isaac when my wife came home disgusted, worn out and complaining about not being able to get any gas. "All the gas stations have long lines", she said as she sat her purse and notebook on the table. Then she slumped into a chair.
"What's the big deal," I asked?
She began explaining about a terrible hurricane headed our way. Of course, I hadn't heard about it. I don't keep up with the news or weather on the TV. I only check on the computer when I first get up around, 2:30 or 3:00 in the morning, to see if it would be raining when I do my daily exercise. I hate getting rained on half way through my workout. I saw nothing about a hurricane warning. So, I questioned her, a little apprehensive figuring it was speeding towards Pensacola and would make landfall within the next 48 hours. Otherwise, why was everyone frantically descending upon gas stations to fill up their vehicles and gas cans.
She said, "It'll be here on Thursday."
"That's today," I said, alarmed.
"No, next Thursday," she said a little irritated."
"You mean, it's a week away and everyone's going crazy filling up already?" I threw up my hands in disgust and wonderment.
Since she was upset, I decided to appease her and said I would go fill up her tank for her. She sighed and handed me her keys.
Sold out
I returned thirty minutes later more disgusted and frustrated than when I left. There are four convenient stores within ten minutes of where we live. Three of them were out of gas and the forth one looked like a madhouse with cars lined up every which way fighting to get to a pump that still had gas in it. I was not about to get into that mess fearing fist fights were about to break out. I tried to think where another station was.
I checked the fuel gage. It showed a quarter full. Shoot, that's enough to get the wife to work and back if I did not waste any more trying to find a place that had gas without a blue million cars stacked up with anxious drivers leaning out their windows.
I drove home as a sick feeling churned my gut. I was not sure who disturbed me more, the weather forecasters, who depicted the forming tropical storm as a probable horrific threat to the entire state of Florida and the gulf coast, or the people listening to them. We are so gullible.
Whom to blame
I don't put all the blame on the forecasters. The poor things seldom get the chance to report something worthwhile, something that makes them feel as though they are earning their pay. Unlike news commentators, they seldom have the chance to report something exciting. Then, they exaggerate the facts scaring the hell out of everyone. "The sky is falling, the sky is falling. Be sure to fill up your gas tanks."
A week later, as I checked what the weather would bring that day, I noticed a video update and forecast of Isaac. I clicked on it and wished I hadn't. The woman was saying, "Expect the rain to last for hours and hours and hours," so dramatic. I chuckled and clicked it off. Farther down the page, I noticed another video.
A male forecaster suited up in foul-weather gear stood as if bracing against a strong wind. Behind, and to the left of him, stood a clump of grass about two or three feet high. It stood straight, unwavering. I laughed again, clicked it off and went to a third video.
A loud swishing sound of wind blowing threatened to drown the forecaster's words. I am sure his sound-guy had the cover off an unseen mike. These foam covers are to eliminate this wind noise so it does not distort the sound.
These tricks were ment to make the storm seem more severe than it really was. These exaggerated tactics are what turns me against watching news and weather on the boob tube, or listening to it on the radio or reading it in the newspapers. They all carry things to the extreme, dramatizing the mundane and are well paid for these talents.

1 comment:

  1. Ray I couldn't agree with you more. They so wanted this to be a grander storm than it turned out to be here in the panhandle. But it did give them the opportunity to run around shouting "Look out, look out."

    ReplyDelete